Monday, September 28, 2026

Monday Morning Chartology

 

The Morning Call

 

9/28/26

 

 

The Market

         

    Technical

 

The S&P was up on the week, negating a very short term downtrend thereby remaining above all DMAs and in uptrends across all time frames. This suggests that this recent small correction is just that---small. So, at this point, there is no reason to get beared up. There are some negatives: (1) last week’s rise was kicked off by a big gap up open which needs to be filled and (2) breadth is horrible. Still it suggests that the long term uptrend is solid and will remain so as long earnings growth stays strong (which it has). On the other hand, the fundamentals (fiscal policy, monetary policy, war, oil, tariffs, Oracle’s force majeure) give me the willies. So I will continue to sit on my hands (though I bought a small position in TJX last week).

 

 

 

 


 

Conversely, there was no joy in bond land. TLT continues to trade down across all timeframes and is below all three DMAs. It says that the bond boys are not nearly as sanguine about rates and inflation as their stock counterparts. I don’t see anything that would suggest a reversal… for the long bond to rise enough to even challenge the upper boundary of its very short term downtrend is going to take a series of very positive developments.

 

 

 


 

 

 

I was a bit surprised that the plunging long bond didn’t have a greater impact on GLD. While it declined, falling below both its 50 and 100 DMAs, it held above the lower boundary of its short term uptrend. That said, the pin action in TLT and UUP only adds to my uncertainty over GLD’s direction. If it confirms a break of the short term uptrend, I will Sell my GDX position.

 

 

Gold is breaking.

https://www.zerohedge.com/the-market-ear/gold-breaking-just-weeks-after-record-speculative-buying?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI2NDg0Iiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc5MDU5ODM0NywiZXhwIjoxNzkzMTkwMzQ3LCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0.Agg7Aw33yvQtjcUECR0GG0pHGvbRKPNn9C302n-hZ60

 





The dollar had another great week, driven by the rise in interest rates. However, it still remains in an extremely wide short term trading range. On a very short term basis, it is in a clear uptrend that will likely continue as interest rates move higher.






 

 

Friday in the charts.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/shaken-stirred-agents-beat-bonds-week-punchy-pmis-diplomatic-duds-energy-angst?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI2MzA2Iiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc5MDM2Nzc3MywiZXhwIjoxNzkyOTU5NzczLCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0.ZJ6EeHGoa3FYTRpXzt4Wd3HgAwg3Gx8el9FiKgj86q0

 

Friday in the technical stats.

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/momentum

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/market-performance

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/sectors/rankings

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/signals/new-recommendations

 

The latest from Goldman’s lead hedge fund trader.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/equities-stuck-frustrating-cat-and-mouse-game-rates-goldman-hedge-fund-honcho-suggests?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI2MjkwIiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc5MDM2NjQwMiwiZXhwIjoxNzkyOTU4NDAyLCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0._s5RoXkQddgNAw7TjHu1tXzTYtyr5skRRtRPjJKhQbQ

 

The latest form Goldman’s derivatives trader.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/not-seen-2000-top-goldman-derivs-trader-says-equities-refuse-price-any-panic?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI2NDU2Iiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc5MDU5ODk4NiwiZXhwIjoxNzkzMTkwOTg2LCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0.YIx65kVgwAjoGZuL3xmaN5wJL5WCKvBPCkIhR_hnJLY

 

Monday morning setup: US futures are lower with Tech underperforming, alongside a drop in treasuries, as fading hopes for an imminent breakthrough in the Iran war sent oil prices higher and reignited worries that inflation is heating up. As of 8:00am ET, S&P 500 futures are down around 0.5% with Nasdaq futures sliding by 0.8% as semis and memory stocks underperform the group. Defensives are leading cyclicals with credit cards, defense, energy, insurance, and restaurants acting as pockets of strength. Oil is sharply higher after Iran stuck to its seven-day proposal for reopening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, saying it won’t soften its conditions, while Donald Trump sent mixed signals about his willingness to reach a deal. He told Axios that Tehran has overplayed its hand but added that he expects negotiations to resume this week. Adding to tensions, UK police are investigating a potential terror plot after five men were arrested near an air base used in US strikes against Iran. The jump in oil has pulled bond yields 4-7 bps higher as the curve flattens, the 10Y trading at 5.21% after hitting a new multi-decade high of 5.23% earlier. The DXY dollar index is higher despite weakness in USD/JPY and GBP/USD. Commodities are mixed with energy leading, metals under pressure dragged by precious which appears to be driven by temporary higher margin requirements in China for Golden Week; ags are lower. More than a dozen Fed officials are scheduled to speak this week beginning Monday, and heavy US economic slate includes September employment report Friday. Today's US economic data slate includes only September Dallas Fed manufacturing activity at 10:30 a.m. Fed speakers include Bowman (8:15 a.m.), Cook (1:25 p.m.) and Barkin (1:30 p.m.).

 

    Fundamental

 

       Headlines

 

              The Economy

 

Last week, the US stats were upbeat as were the primary indicators---one plus, one neutral. No inflation numbers. Overseas, the data was also positive with no price measures.

 

These reports keep both my forecasts for growth (muddle through) and inflation (good as it is going to get but not any worse) on track. They don’t, however, resolve one of the major economic issues facing us right now: what is the appropriate monetary response to inflation that is being driven largely by supply shortages versus demand pull?

 

In speech last week, Chicago Fed chief Goolsbee provided a possible resolution to this dilemma, pointing out that higher interest rates can have a restraining impact on some supply shortage problems. Meanwhile, several other Fed governors piled on the rate hike bandwagon. So, I think we can expect several more increases in the not so distant future. Whether Goolsbee is correct is another issue. So, until higher rates start showing up in lower inflation data, I don’t think that we can safely assume that the Fed has the problem in hand and inflation is headed lower; particularly in light of the fact that it does nothing to change the course of a misguided, gluttoness, irresponsible fiscal policy which I believe is a major contributor to our current inflation problem.

 

That said, I am not economist and can’t claim to have any clue as to the answer. But I think that it is important to hold this conundrum in the back of our mind as we view future economic data for signs that rate hikes are not the answer but rather the problem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/25/business/interest-rates-economy-markets-inflation-mortgages.html?smid=url-share

 

Wall Street faces a new rate regime.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2026-09-24/us-treasury-yields-hit-5-as-wall-street-faces-new-rate-regime?utm_source=website&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=copy

 

 

 The rise in real rates.

             https://econbrowser.com/archives/2026/09/is-it-real

 

             What current yields are telling us.

              https://talkmarkets.com/article/what-us-yields-are-saying-now-and-where-the-line-in-the-sand-sits-for-risk-marke

 

             And what they don’t.

             https://www.stockmarketmedia.com/2026-09-25/10-year-back-2007-levels

 

Despite everything in Washington, manufacturing is booming.

https://bonddad.blogspot.com/2026/09/despite-everything-in-washington.html

 

Another development that should be mentioned is Friday’s (for the umpteenth time) noise about a possible resolution to the war with Iran. This remains one of the ‘boy cries wolf’ situations where we have heard this routine so many times that the reasonable response at the moment is ‘I’ll believe it when I see it and I am sure not putting any money on it’. Trump’s subsequent comments confirm it.

https://quoththeraven.substack.com/p/dont-fall-for-it-nothing-has-changed?r=1ng8jx&utm_campaign=post-expanded-share&utm_medium=web

 

             

I continue to stew over the health of the AI buildout. And that wasn’t helped by Oracle’s Thursday force majeure notice on its huge New Mexico installation. Clearly, that supports the line of analysis questioning the viability of the spend.

https://quoththeraven.substack.com/p/force-majeure-is-not-a-city-in-france?r=1ng8jx&utm_campaign=post-expanded-share&utm_medium=web

 

While this certainly heightens my alert status, I am not yet bailing out of my AI related holdings. I continue to hold positions in both the chip manufacturers and the hyperscalers---although their performances has been such that I have Sold Half of virtually every stock. That said, I have my finger on the trigger for several holdings. And should the negative case appear the more likely outcome, I will take some more money off the table.

 

I want to emphasize that the issue that I am focused on is the economics of the AI buildout not the doomsday ‘we will all be dead in ten years’ variety. I made clear …. that I am quite cynical about the motivations of the doomsayers whether they are from the industry (who want the government to impose regulations that would squash potential competition) or government (who never lets a crisis go to waste in order to impose further on our collective liberties)

https://www.wsj.com/opinion/the-amazing-things-ai-is-already-doing-for-humanity-91ce0419?st=zzHpXc&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

 

My bottom line remains unchanged: my doubts on the trajectory of the economy/inflation/AI buildout are increasing. However, as long as earnings growth remains strong, I can’t see either an economic decline or a major sell off. Higher inflation is another matter.

              https://www.capitalspectator.com/treasury-yield-surge-pressures-rate-sensitive-shares/

 

                        US

                       

                          From late Friday:

The September final consumer sentiment index was 48.1   versus forecasts of 47.6.

https://mishtalk.com/economics/consumer-sentiment-drops-in-september-to-just-above-record-lows/

 

                        International

 

                        Other

 

Measuring government, household, and corporate debt as a percentage of GDP by nation.

https://politicalcalculations.blogspot.com/2026/09/ranking-government-household-and.html

 

            Iran

 

              Weekend news

 

   Trump rejects Iran offer (don’t forget the Tucker Carlson assertion).

                https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/im-rejecting-their-deal-trump-blasts-iranian-proposal-amid-reports-hell-resume-bombing

           

                Oil flowing through the Strait of Hormuz increases.

                https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/hormuz-oil-flows-rebound-two-thirds-prewar-level-irans-grip-erodes-attacks-19-ships

 

                Saudi Arabia restarts critical pipeline.

                https://www.zerohedge.com/energy/saudi-arabia-restarts-critical-hormuz-bypass-pipeline

 

            Fiscal Policy

 

              Bond markets are the canary.

              https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2026/09/24/britains-high-bond-yields-are-warning-america/

 

              A plea to make the dollar great again.

              https://www.realclearmarkets.com/articles/2026/09/25/a_dollar_is_not_a_dollar_a_plea_to_make_dollar_policy_great_again_1208060.html

             

            AI

 

              AI spending is up.

              https://www.apollo.com/wealth/insights-news/insights/daily-spark/ai-adoption-is-spreading-ai-spending-is-concentrating

 

            The Financial System

 

              The commercial real estate losses are moving from paper to reality.

              https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/commercial-real-estate-crash-moving-paper-losses-realized-losses

 

     Investing

 

            Even the richest Americans can’t beat the Market.

            https://www.marketwatch.com/story/stop-trying-to-beat-the-market-even-the-richest-americans-cant-do-it-consistently-4560e275?st=1RucfK

           

The easy money fairy tale.

                        https://quoththeraven.substack.com/p/the-free-money-financial-fairy-tale?r=1ng8jx&utm_campaign=post-expanded-share&utm_medium=web

 

            The latest from BofA.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/hartnett-unveils-two-numbers-trigger-risk-deleveraging-cascade?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI2NDA3Iiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc5MDUyMzk5NSwiZXhwIjoxNzkzMTE1OTk1LCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0.JmASx85GGXW4O2PfFJ-oKWMFu-3XtDkNsFgcfrLu7W4

 

 

    News (but not a Buy recommendation) on Stocks in Our Portfolios

 

 

What I am reading today

 

 

 

Visit Investing for Survival’s website (http://investingforsurvival.com/home) to learn more about our Investment Strategy, Prices Disciplines and Subscriber Service.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment