Monday, September 21, 2026

Monday Morning Chartology

 

The Morning Call

 

9/21/26

 

 

The Market

         

    Technical

 

The S&P was up on the week, closing back above its 50 DMA and its former all-time high. Short term, it has now set three lower highs and three lower lows. On a longer timeframe, the index is above all DMAs and in uptrends across all time frames.  This suggests that this recent small correction is just that---small.  So, at this point, there is no reason to get beared up.  That said, the fundamentals (fiscal policy, monetary policy, war, oil, tariffs) give me the willies. So I will continue to sit on my hands.

 

Fear is gone; the risks aren’t.

https://www.zerohedge.com/the-market-ear/fear-gone-risks-arent?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI1NzQ2Iiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc4OTk5MzkwMSwiZXhwIjoxNzkyNTg1OTAxLCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0.ADa_1k6QWMbEGc8hvQ3nuubhhPEIcBpW1IuJDnyr04o

 

 

 

 


 

TLT continues to trade down across all timeframes and is below all three DMAs. Last week’s rate decision changed nothing.  … for the long bond to rise enough to even challenge the upper boundary of its very short term downtrend is going to take a series of very positive developments.

 

 

 


 

 

 

GLD staged a modest rally, bouncing off the lower boundary of its short term uptrend, its 50 DMA (resetting it to support) and its 100 DMA (now resistance; if it stays there through the close on Tuesday it will revert to support).  I continue to have directional uncertainty due to the fundamentals that historically drive gold prices: …higher interest rates versus a love stew of the continuing inflationary pressures from lousy fiscal policy, the economic fallout from two wars and higher tariffs. While I am unsure of the outcome, for the moment I am holding on to my GDX.

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

The dollar had a great week, driven by the raise in interest rates.  While it (1) negated a very short term downtrend and (2) reset its 50 DMA to support and is now above all three DMAs, it remains in an extremely wide trading range. Short term, it seems to be biding its time waiting for a clearer fundamental picture.  Longer term, it remains in a ‘no man’s land’.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Friday in the charts.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/bitcoin-bullion-bid-amid-wild-week-energy-war-spreads-bankers-hike-ai-anxiety-peaks?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI1NTMyIiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc4OTkzMDA2MSwiZXhwIjoxNzkyNTIyMDYxLCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0.Ih4JgIbHO4NYN0gmlnaqiYukBkGRkzhyV_fe5Apmcv0

 

Friday in the technical stats.

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/momentum

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/market-performance

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/sectors/rankings

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/signals/new-recommendations

 

Monday morning setup: US futures are higher driven by Trump / Xi optimism around AI, Middle East, and trade with Middle East kinetic headlines over the weekend reflecting a pause to escalation. Sentiment was lifted by signs of progress on geopolitical issues: it’s a big week for talks, with Trump set for a summit with China’s Xi Jinping on Thursday and a possibility of talks with Iran’s president at the UN General Assembly. As of 8:00am ET, S&P futures are up 0.7%, rising to 7,770 and less than 1% from all-time highs, as Nasdaq futures gain 1.1%, with tech strength on full display in APAC trade and also leading in premarket US trading with broad-based strength across Semis, Memory, and Mag7. Cyclicals ex-Energy are leading Defensives with the AI theme boosting Tech / Industrials within Cyclicals. Within Defensives, both healthcare and staples have pockets of strength as today looks like a broad-based rally in both the SPX and within Tech. WTI is below $100, dropping for a fourth day, fuel prices are lower, while bond traders reckon the Fed will succeed in its fight against inflation helping drive bond yields lower as the yield curve bull flattens, as the USD drops to session lows. This is bidding up risk assets with Equities leading. The Fed’s Goolsbee speaks 6.30am with previous speakers Fri / Sun offering a hawkish view which reiterates Warsh’s key points. According to JPM, given the macro and earnings strength, the market may be underpricing the number of hikes through YE27. There is little on today's calendar: we get the Aug Chicago Fed Nat Activity Index (est. -0.04) at 8:30am ET.

 

 

 

 

    Fundamental

 

       Headlines

 

              The Economy

 

Last week, the US stats were balanced as were the primary indicators---one plus, one minus. Overseas, the data was quite negative with one positive, two neutral and two negative inflation datapoints.

 

Regarding the US numbers, a balanced report generally tells us that the underlying trend in the economy (in this case growth) is intact.  As noted, there were no inflation stats. That keeps my ‘good as it is going to get but not any worse’ forecast alive and well.

 

However, I would be remiss if I didn’t remind all that there is a number of analysts who I respect that point out that our current inflation is the result of supply shortages (oil, tariffs)---which is a problem that monetary policy can’t cure.  Hence, raising interest rates is not the solution as it will only stifle demand (i.e., it will slow the economy down and perhaps push it into recession). 

 

Which leads me to the first comment I have on last week’s major economic developments: the FOMC raised rates and the accompanying dot plot suggested there is more to come. It is clear that the bond market forced the Fed’s hand.  So the bond boys apparently don’t agree with the above quoted analysis that current inflation is caused by supply shortages. The biggest reason for their concern, of course, would the irresponsible fiscal policy---increased demand driven by our horrendous deficit spending.  And to be sure, there is truth to that. 

 

The question is the extent to which rising prices are a function of raw material (oil) and self-inflicted (tariffs) shortages (oil) or demand driven by uncontrolled government spending.  Clearly both are likely contributing but their relative impact is important because the remedy being applied (higher rates) only addresses demand-pull and if it is of lesser importance then a series of rate hikes would do more damage than help. At this point, I certainly have no clue to the answer.  But I think that it is important to hold this conundrum in the back of our mind as we view future economic data for signs that rate hikes are the answer but rather the problem.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/fed-rate-hike-wont-fix-inflation-it-targets

 

Financial repression.

https://bondvigilantes.com/blog/2026/09/the-great-repression/

 

Second, the war in the Middle East continued to ratchet up.  There are rumors of a massive increase of US arms shipments to Israel (see the Tucker Carlson’s assertions in last Thursday’s Morning Call) which could lead to a dramatic escalation in the fighting accompanied by a further decline in oil supplies.  Clearly, that would only provide more ammo for the ‘supply driven inflation’ advocates. 

             

Third: I continue to stew over the health of the AI buildout. I have already elaborated on the potential problems in earlier notes. So I won’t repeat them. What keeps me concerned is the continuous flow of analysis questioning the viability of the spend. To be sure, there is plenty of equally responsible analysis by equally responsible analysts confirming the positive case for the future payoff of the current spend rate.

 

My problem is that I am not smart enough to figure out which case is the more likely outcome. So, I continue to hold positions in both the chip manufacturers and the hyperscalers---although their performances has been such that I have Sold Half of virtually every stock. And I am not running for the hills in the rest of my Portfolios. That said, I have my finger on the trigger for several holdings. And should the negative case appear the more likely outcome, I will take some money off the table.

 

I want to emphasize that the issue that I am focused on is the economics of the AI buildout not the doomsday ‘we will all be dead in ten years’ variety.  I made clear in last Friday’s Morning Call that I am quite cynical about the motivations of the doomsayers whether they are from the industry (who want the government to impose regulations that would squash potential competition) or government (who never lets a crisis go to waste in order to impose further on our collective liberties)

(3) No, AI Is Not About To End the World - by Quoth the Raven

 

Jeffery Gundlach’s thoughts.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-just-want-out-why-jeffrey-gundlach-is-moving-his-money-as-far-from-ai-as-possible-and-what-hes-doing-instead-54281010?st=nFXEwb

 

Oracle loans fall to distressed level.

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/oracle-loans-backing-massive-new-mexico-data-center-tumble-stressed-levels?gift=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJuaWQiOiIxMTI1NzE5Iiwic2VuZGVyVWlkIjoiUUhnc3BaZVVFS2E3RHhXM216eFlKbjhaWEFoMiIsImlhdCI6MTc4OTk5NDM0NiwiZXhwIjoxNzkyNTg2MzQ2LCJhdWQiOiJ6aC1naWZ0In0.ng7reyw9IAm464oAUj_KWJv996wrRK285HC-dKn7T6c

 

 

My bottom line remains unchanged: doubts on the trajectory of the economy/inflation/AI buildout are increasing---at least in my mind. Not yet enough to warrant a change in my outlook but enough to keep me on the sidelines with my finger on the warning light button.

https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/17/opinion/us-economy-treasury-stable.html?unlocked_article_code=1.CFE.Thgm.VGQzXxZk1gFX&smid=url-share

 

                        US

                       

The August Chicago national activity index came in at -0.04 versus forecasts of +0.2.

 

                        International

 

 

                        Other

 

                          The latest Q3 nowcast.

                          https://econbrowser.com/archives/2026/09/gdpnow-goes-gangbusters

 

                          The K shaped economy: reality or media driven?

                          https://talkmarkets.com/article/k-shaped-economy-reality-or-media-driven-perception

 

                          The state of goods production shows rebound continues but with a wobble.

                          https://bonddad.blogspot.com/2026/09/three-reports-on-state-of-goods.html

 

            Overnight News

 

              Ukraine pounds Moscow refinery.

              https://www.zerohedge.com/political/ukraine-pounds-major-moscow-refinery-global-diesel-crisis-threatens-economic-shock

 

            Monetary Policy

 

              A hawk in dove’s clothing?

              https://www.carsongroup.com/insights/blog/a-dove-in-hawks-clothing/

           

              Bank of Japan raises rates.

  https://www.wsj.com/economy/central-banking/bank-of-japan-raises-benchmark-interest-rate-to-1-25-highest-level-since-1995-2b28cbe9?st=d19MEZ&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

 

            Fiscal Policy

 

              The Fed can’t do it alone.

              https://reason.com/2026/09/17/the-fed-cant-fight-inflation-alone-will-congress-do-its-part/

             

              Treasuries have become unappetizing to foreign governments.

              https://wolfstreet.com/2026/09/17/treasuries-have-become-badly-unappetizing-for-foreign-central-banks-governments/

           

              Eroding the US status as a safe haven.

              https://www.nytimes.com/2026/09/16/business/trump-debt-sanctions-global-economy.html?unlocked_article_code=1.CFE.BeLl.4VWjTyj2-1pR&smid=url-share

 

            The Financial System

 

              Private equity turns to more financial engineering.

              https://giftarticle.ft.com/giftarticle/actions/redeem/fc4035a3-ec3c-44c0-a2f2-e17dc9b5a1b3

 

     Investing

 

            Margin debt increased in August.

            https://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/updates/2026/09/17/margin-debt-finra-august-2026

 

            Bulls still have the edge, but the margin is narrowing.

            https://www.capitalspectator.com/the-bulls-still-have-the-edge-but-the-margin-is-narrowing/

 

    News (but not a Buy recommendation) on Stocks in Our Portfolios

 

 

What I am reading today

 

 

 

Visit Investing for Survival’s website (http://investingforsurvival.com/home) to learn more about our Investment Strategy, Prices Disciplines and Subscriber Service.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment