Saturday, August 17, 2024

Monday Morning Chartology

 

 

8/19/24

 

I am still at the beach and will return on 8/26.

 

The Market

         

    Technical

 

The S&P continued its recovery in fairly dramatic fashion, spurred on by (in my opinion) an overly optimistic interpretation of last week’s dataflow. It reset both its 50 and 100 DMAs to support and pushed up through the downtrend off its July 16 high. While it is still short of making a higher high and has that gap up open down below, I think that the burden of proof is on the bears to argue that the correction isn’t over. That said, (1) I question the new revised ‘Goldilocks’ economic assumption, (2) whatever you may think of the social impact of the new democratic party platform, economically it is inflationary; and I think that a negative, given the current poll numbers and (3) valuations in total remain high. I remain cautious. But as I noted in Wednesday’s note, I do have a Buy List in hand.

 

Share repurchases end correction, but………...

Share Repurchases End The Market Correction - RIA (realinvestmentadvice.com)

 

            From the head of Goldman’s hedge fund trading desk.

            https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/sit-tight-your-portfolio-goldmans-top-trader-sees-illiquid-august-exceedingly-busy-fall

 

                        The pain trade is higher.

            https://www.zerohedge.com/the-market-ear/pain-trade-higher

 

 

 


 

The long bond had a volatile week but remains in an uptrend off its April 25 low. We are probably not done with volatility, especially if investors keep changing their generally accepted economic scenario.

 

 

 


 

 

GLD looks like it has finally made a breakout above its former all-time high. My time and distance discipline requires it to stay above that breakout level until Thursday to confirm the breakout. Plus, there is that gap up open that must be closed. I retain my GDX position and will likely add to it this week.

 

 

 


 

 

 

The dollar had another volatile week but continued to decline. If it reaches the level suggested by that head and shoulders formation, it could retreat to the December 28 low. Though if the new “Goldilocks’ scenario persists, that seems unlikely.

 

 

 


 

 

            Friday in the charts.

            https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/gold-soars-record-high-dollar-dumps-kamala-unveils-populist-economic-plan

           

    Fundamental

 

       Headlines

 

              The Economy

 

                        Week in review

 

Another slow week for data. Overall, it was slightly negative; but the primary indicators were awful (two neutral, three negative). The overseas data was similarly downbeat. I know that is at odds with the new ‘Goldilocks’ interpretation by the Street. I am just calling them as I see them. That makes three weeks of poor stats (interrupted by one nothing burger week).

 

This is clearly not indicative of a ‘muddle through’ scenario. I have said repeatedly that it increasingly appeared that my original call of a recession looked like it would turn out to be the correct one. My general rule before altering my outlook is a solid four week trend. So, I will be hanging on to the ‘muddle through’ scenario a bit longer. That said, investors have clearly decided that the risk of a recession has escalated deescalated dramatically.

 

For the moment, my prognosis remains:

 

(1) the economy ‘muddles through’ and (2) inflation has likely seen its lows. But my confidence in that outcome is low.

 

 

However, as I have previously noted (1) my original recession call may turn out to be correct and (2) while I continue to believe that profligate fiscal policy and an accommodative Fed will ultimately lead to higher inflation, a recession could work against that scenario in the near term.

                                   

And I would add that if (1) recession is the ultimate scenario and (2) the Fed maintains its tight money policy, then conditions could develop even worse.

                                  

                        US

 

                        International

 

                        Other

 

                       

        Bottom line

 

 

    News on Stocks in Our Portfolios

 

What I am reading today

 

           

 

Visit Investing for Survival’s website (http://investingforsurvival.com/home) to learn more about our Investment Strategy, Prices Disciplines and Subscriber Service.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment